You would need to book a two-week stay if you wanted to play a round of golf every day at all the golf courses within a 15-mile radius of The Old House Inn in Copthorne, West Sussex.
This part of the world is a golfer’s paradise — and our inn is perfectly placed to make the most of courses situated in West Sussex, East Sussex, Surrey and Kent.
There are courses to suit every level of ability, from beginner to pro, and some have a rich heritage, having been constructed in the late 19th century when the popularity of golf boomed during the Victorian era.
Facilities vary from club to club — some will have practice greens and driving ranges, for instance, and others will let you hire golf buggies and clubs for the day — but all are set in beautiful surrounds featuring picturesque tree-lined fairways often with stunning vistas overlooking sand bunkers and water traps.
While most clubs are membership-based, visitors are welcome to play 9 or 18 holes if they book ahead. Different clubs have different policies for guests, so do check opening times, green fees and tee booking policies before you arrive. Many will let you book a tee off time direct online.
Here are 15 countryside golf clubs arranged according to their proximity to The Old House Inn. Click the golf club names to find out more information:
Effingham Park Golf Course (1.3 miles from The Old House Inn)
- 9-hole course (1,822-yards, par 30) designed by internationally acclaimed golf course architect Francisco Escario.
Copthorne Golf Club (1.6 miles)
- 18-hole course (6,454 yards, par 72) originally laid out in 1892 with additions by James Braid in the 1930s and by Bill Cox in the 1970s.
Chatham Park (5.7 miles)
- 18-hole championship course (6,680 yards, par 72) opened in 1992 and designed by Neil Coles.
Lingfield Park Golf (5.8 miles)
- 18-hole championship course (6,511 yards, par 72) was established in 1987 but has recently been updated.
Tilgate Forest Golf Centre (6.5 miles)
- 18-hole course (6,359 yards, par 72) opened in 1982 and designed by Neil Coles and Brian Huggett.
Ifield Golf Club (7 miles)
- 18-hole course (6,319 yards, par 70) built in 1927.
Bletchingley Golf Club (7 miles)
- 18-hole course (6,600 yards, par 72) originally opened in 1993.
Redhill & Reigate Golf (7.9 miles)
- 18-hole course (5,272 yards, par 68) established in 1887.
Royal Ashdown Forest Golf Club (9 miles)
- 36 holes divided into two courses (Old Course 6,537 yards, par 72 and West Course 5,606 yards, par 68) established in 1888 and famous for having no bunkers.
Godstone Golf Club (9.7 miles)
- 9-hole course (3,039 yards, par 36) opened in 2005.
Haywards Heath Golf Club (10.4 miles)
- 18-hole course (6,216 yards, par 71) established in 1924.
Tandridge Golf Club (10.8 miles)
- 18-hole course (6,509 yards, par 71) created by golf course architect Harry Colt in 1924 and fully restored and updated by Frank Pont.
Sweetwoods Park Golf Club (10.9 miles)
- 18-hole course (6,515 yards, par 72) established in the early 1990s by two local farmers.
Kent & Surrey Golf Course (11 miles)
- 18-hole championship course (6,322 yards, par 71) built in 1975 and designed by architect David Williams.
Villa Golf Course (14 miles)
- 9-hole course (2,473 yards, par 33) opened in 1990 and family run.